France `98 Football World Cup









In June-July 1998,just as the 8th class began,I was affected by a fever.This fever got me for almost a month.I lost many class days due to this fever.
It was the FRANCE `98 Football World Cup fever.like me, millions across the world was in football mania.
My favourite team was Brazil and my hero was Ronaldo.
Indian broadcast of France `98 was througha newly launched channel called Ten Sports.It was a satellite channel and it was available only through cabl
e TV service providers.No cable service reached my village during that times.The nearest cable connected home was some 3 kilometers away from my home.Just a few of homes owned TV sets in my village.
Then Doordarshan began telecast of the finals;As live and as 'deferred live' at midnight.
There was a small reading library about a kilometer away from my home.There was an old Solidaire TV at the library.I and a few football fans gathered around the antique TV at midnight to watch the matches.I was the youngest fan and the other 3-4 guys are all elders.
It was the rainy season and I usually went to bed at 8:30 or 9 pm and,setting my watch's alarm to wake me up at 11:30 pm.at 11:30,I steps into the rainy night with an umbrella and a torch and walks towards the library.
at the library,we usually watched the second match too,leaving the club at 4 or 5 in the morning.I did not went to school for many days.
I watched the final (between France and Brazil) from my aunt's house.There I sat alone before the TV and witnessed France clinching the victory.I felt very sad and could not control the 2-3 drops of tears that made its way through my cheeks and fell as I sat still watching my team crying...
I did not sleep for the rest of the night...

0 Responses to "France `98 Football World Cup"